Meeting older people


 Until recently I had never met anyone with dementia. Now I know three people although one of them died recently. It was interesting that they
had the same diagnosis it's affected them in very different ways.

One woman who had been a teacher and studied English literature at university tells me things about the other people she livedbmwith which I believed at the beginning. When she said that she could read the news on the ceiling I understand that I must be aware that not everything she tells me was absolute truth.

She. never forgot to ask me how my family were and remembered the details.

Another lady was normal some of the time but then at other times she was screaming,help me and her face looked full of bitterness.

She had one need or something if you wanted the carer to do but then would have another one 5 minutes later so even if someone has just been to see her she wanted someone else to come these two women could not walk independently. I think that added a lot of strain and it meant that they couldn't go outside except in a wheelchair with a family member maybe a second person. It's very hard being dependent on  other people Babies are really very appealing but older people may not be especially when they got something wrong with  their brain. I wish that there could be some cure for these brain alterations but we might be able to by doing things like learning another language which you could do on the internet from some college I think learning anything new is good for us and it might be a good idea after the pandemics stops going to classes either in real life or online.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intimacy and friendship

Dementia is physical illness