Taking literally what an old person says is not always the best approach

No I had never seen anyone anyone with dementia until I came here and I thought they wouldn't be able to communicate but there's a lovely lady next to me. I didn't know that she's got dementia and it took me awhile to realise that not everything she said was true. What night about 10 she started screaming and and the screaming all demented person is hard to ignore The nurse was unable to help her and after an hour I couldn't stand it anymore so I went in and asked what was wrong and she said I want to go go home, so I said where is your home? She then said the name of this place sit will you are there you are at home already this is your room and you fully recognise my voice because I have an extra room to you and immediately she quieten down and was quite calm she been having a nightmare about travelling in a car which two strangers and she became frightened. But my voice then with him enough to calm her. Octoberi she died so maybe the dream was about that Since then I have used the same with another person and it works really well. So before I leave I may write down this and give it to the manager. The sounds. If I was one of themand the cries can be very disturbing even to the staff and all the other residents can hear the screaming especially when she's doing it in the dining room

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meeting older people

Intimacy and friendship

Dementia is physical illness